Main Article Content
Fluorescence-guided surgery is a recently developed technique in minimally invasive surgery in which a fluorescent dye is used to complement the surgeon’s judgment in making real-time intraoperative assessment of organ vascularization and proper tissue perfusion. This technique has been adopted in several different surgical subspecialties with positive results, particularly in hepatobiliary and colorectal surgery. More recently, it has also been applied in bariatric surgery, with the aim of reducing the incidence of leaks. This paper reviews the relevant literature on the topic.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Pareek M, Schauer PR, Kaplan LM, Leiter LA, Rubino F, Bhatt DL. Metabolic Surgery: Weight Loss, Diabetes, and Beyond. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018;71:670-87.
- Aminian A, Brethauer SA, Kirwan JP, Kashyap SR, Burguera B, Schauer PR. How safe is metabolic/diabetes surgery? Diabetes Obes Metab. 2015;17:198-201.
- Arterburn D, Wellman R, Emiliano A, Smith SR, Odegaard AO, Murali S, et al. Comparative Effectiveness and Safety of Bariatric Procedures for Weight Loss: A PCORnet Cohort Study. Ann Intern Med. 2018;169:741-50.
- Ghiassi S, Morton JM. Safety and Efficacy of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery. Curr Obes Rep. 2020;9:159-64.
- Purich K, Dang JT, Poonja A, Sun WYL, Bigam D, Birch D, et al. Intraoperative fluorescence imaging with indocyanine green in hepatic resection for malignancy: a systematic review and meta-analysis of diagnostic test accuracy studies. Surg Endosc. 2020.
- Alander JT, Kaartinen I, Laakso A, Patila T, Spillmann T, Tuchin VV, et al. A review of indocyanine green fluorescent imaging in surgery. Int J Biomed Imaging. 2012;2012:940585.
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG, Group P. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. PLoS Med. 2009;6:e1000097.
- Slim K, Nini E, Forestier D, Kwiatkowski F, Panis Y, Chipponi J. Methodological index for non-randomized studies (minors): development and validation of a new instrument. ANZ J Surg. 2003;73:712-6.
- Olmi S, David G, Cesana G, Ciccarese F, Giorgi R, De Carli S, et al. Modified Sleeve Gastrectomy Combined with Laparoscopic Rossetti Fundoplication and Vascularization Assessment with Indocyanine Green. Obes Surg. 2019;29:3086-8.
- Frattini F, Lavazza M, Mangano A, Amico F, Rausei S, Rovera F, et al. Indocyanine green-enhanced fluorescence in laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Obes Surg. 2015;25:949-50.
- Di Furia M, Romano L, Salvatorelli A, Brandolin D, Lomanto D, Cianca G, et al. Indocyanine Green Fluorescent Angiography During Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: Preliminary Results. Obes Surg. 2019;29:3786-90.
- Ortega CB, Guerron AD, Yoo JS. The Use of Fluorescence Angiography During Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy. JSLS. 2018;22.
- Hagen ME, Diaper J, Douissard J, Jung MK, Buehler L, Aldenkortt F, et al. Early Experience with Intraoperative Leak Test Using a Blend of Methylene Blue and Indocyanine Green During Robotic Gastric Bypass Surgery. Obes Surg. 2019;29:949-52.
- Speich R, Sasseli B, Hoffmann U, Neftel K. Letters and corrections. Ann Intern Med. 1988;109:345-6.